[python-committers] Revert changes which break too many buildbots

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 11:07:15 EDT 2017

On 17 June 2017 at 06:26, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 at 13:24 Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>> On 06/16/2017 09:48 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>> > Maybe we should amend PEP 11 to say that whomever volunteers to maintain
>> > a platform
>>  > must make sure that platform's buildbot is not red for longer than a
>> month [...]
>> How about three?  Some life changes need more than a month to recover
>> from... (death in the family, life in the family,
>> job loss, etc.)
>
> True. I guess as long as we are upfront that the platform's buildbot is
> known to be failing and the clock has started (so we all know to ignore the
> failure), then I'm fine with 3 months.

It's also the case of that being the time period to ping
python-committers with a notification to say "Hey, my availability is
likely to be intermittent for a while, so the buildbot for <platform>
may be unreliable until <future date>".

That way, other folks that care about the platform may be more alert
to resolving platform specific issues during that time (and may even
be able to take over the lead platform support role).

Cheers,
Nick.