[python-committers] Revert changes which break too many buildbots

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 09:38:58 EDT 2017

> I'm not necessarily opposed to such a policy change, but if folks
> really want guaranteed green post-merge buildbots for all platforms
> (rather than just guaranteed green for Linux & Windows, sometimes red
> for everything else), then I think a better place to focus effort
> would be in making it easier for us to test things across the full
> BuildBot fleet in pre-merge CI.
>
> For example, something that would be genuinely helpful would be a bot
> monitoring PR comments that could automate the "custom-build" dance
> for core developers (i.e. we'd be able to write something like
> "BuildBot: test custom build", and it would go away, kick off a custom
> BuildBot run by pushing the PR to the "custom-build" branch, and then
> report back the links for failed builds like
> http://buildbot.python.org/all/builders/x86%20Tiger%20custom/builds/5
> )

I don't think that buildbots have enough resources to run tests on
each PR. We get too many PR and each PR is updated regulary. On some
buildbots, a single build can take 1 hour (or longer)... Moreover,
that's an idea, but we need "someone" to do the job. I don't know
anyone available to do it.

I'm proposing a pragmatic solution to a concrete issue. I'm just to do
by best with our limited resources (human and CPU time). Again,
failures on random platforms not catched by our pre-commit CI occur,
but are -hopefully- rare!

I dislike having a long list of "nice to have" list for our infra. I
prefer to focus on the existing bricks and don't put too much pressure
on people who give their time to care of our tooling and infra ;-)

(Yes, I would also prefer to have a fleet of buildbots at the
pre-commit stage if I can get it for free :-))

Victor