[python-committers] Unreliable contributor stats

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Tue Jul 18 07:57:23 EDT 2017

Le 18/07/2017 à 12:24, Victor Stinner a écrit :

> == More contributors, more contributions, faster reviewed/merged ==
>
> In term of contributions, I looked at statistics yesterday and it
> became clear the number of different authors is significantely much
> higher, around 25 contributors / month before, now closer to 50:
> https://www.openhub.net/p/python/contributors/summary

Beware of how those numbers are calculated.

When we were using hg, patches were typically committed by core
developers, so only core developers appeared as "contributors" in the hg
log.

Now we're using GitHub, commits are made by their contributors
themselves, so the git log now shows their names.

(note the difference is really GitHub PRs vs. applying-patches-by-hand,
not git vs. hg)

Furthermore, based on https://www.openhub.net/p/python/commits/summary,
it seems the latest stats collected by OpenHub date back to 30th May
2017.  They are two months late.

Regards