[python-committers] Please edit the commit message when merge a PR

Berker Peksağ berker.peksag at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 10:49:04 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> When a PR is consistent on several commits, the final commit message
> composed by GitHub contains messages of all these commits: "fix typo",
> "address yyy comments", "revert zzz". If the initial commit message
> contained errors (e.g. absent issue number), it is easy to edit the title
> and text of a PR, but the initial commit message lefts unchanged. GitHub
> allows to edit the commit message of squashed commit, and please don't
> ignore this possibility. Otherwise the commit message in the repository will
> be ugly if not worse.

+1! (and thank you for writing this email, Serhiy)

I can't think of a way to automatically prevent a PR from merging if
body of the squashed commit contains "fix typo" commits. I think this
is a pretty annoying problem and perhaps we should ask contributors to
squash multiple commits themselves even if we continue to use the
"squash and merge" option.