[python-committers] My cavalier and aggressive manner, API change and bugs introduced for basically zero benefit

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 01:42:32 EST 2017

On 22 Jan 2017 11:26 pm, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

One question (and apologies if this has been discussed on another list
somewhere) - my biggest bottleneck is the sheer number of python-bugs
emails, and the difficulty of identifying ones I can contribute. Will
we be moving to the github issue tracker, and/or are there any likely
changes to more closely classify issues (ideally in a way that can be
handled via mail filters)?

The experts index in the developer guide is excellent for this - I *don't*
follow every new issue that gets filed, but I pay close attention to the
ones where I get added to the nosy list, and that's usually via the experts
index module and topic entries. It also gives me an incentive to keep my
entries in that file up to date (e.g. I was following tempfile when doing a
lot of filesystem manipulation tasks at work, but stopped doing so quite
some time ago).

We have some docs in the triager section of the guide about that, but
perhaps it would help to emphasise it more in the core dev section?

The move to GitHub will also make it easier to follow new PRs,
independently of the issue tracker.

Cheers,
Nick.