[python-committers] My cavalier and aggressive manner, API change and bugs introduced for basically zero benefit

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jan 22 18:14:07 EST 2017

On Jan 22, 2017, at 10:26 PM, Paul Moore wrote:

>Will we be moving to the github issue tracker

No.  I think a lot of us still prefer Roundup and a significant amount of work
is being done to integrate our Roundup instance with GH.

>(Or at least have some means of scanning issue emails to quickly spot
>which ones fall into which classification).

I love Roundup's nosy feature, so I subscribe to the new-bugs-announce list,
and yes, you see the first message of any new bug, but I only nosy myself to
the issues I know I care about right then (it's always easy to nosy in on a
message later).

>That's a long way beyond simply "switching to github which is a workflow I'm
>more familiar with" and while I hope github will help me to contribute more,
>I do think that ultimately the issue is simply that Python is a large and
>complex system, and people like me have limited time - and too much of it
>gets wasted playing "spot something I can work on", but that's inherent in
>the nature of a system this size.

I think that's true.  I plan to start with issues I've already filed or nosied
on.

Cheers,
-Barry