[python-committers] We are now live on GitHub!

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Fri Feb 10 18:49:26 EST 2017

Le 11/02/2017 à 00:19, Brett Cannon a écrit :

> # What has improved
> ## Accepting PRs through GitHub’s web UI
>
> While using hg.python.org <http://hg.python.org>, all commits had to be
> done through Mercurial’s CLI. With the move to GitHub we gain the
> ability to accept pull requests through a web UI. While this will only
> accept the change into the branch it was submitted against (which can be
> changed in the web UI), for situations where a change does not need to
> be backported it will allow for easier acceptance of a change. (When a
> change does need to be backported this is when you need to cherry-pick
> and that requires using the git CLI). If a change does need to be
> cherry-picked into an older branch you can either wait to accept the PR
> when you have a clone to work with or accept the change into master now
> and then cherry-pick later when you have a clone available.

To make sure I'm understanding this, this means any cherry-pick goes
through its own PR, right?  i.e. if a change has to go into master, 3.6
and 2.7, three PRs have to be opened?

(and what do you mean with "when you have a clone available"?)

> While this doesn’t solve all testing scenarios (e.g. this doesn’t test a
> macOS or Windows-related change due to the added hours it take for a PR
> to be “green” when run on Travis for macOS or AppVeyor for Windows),

In my experience, build times on AppVeyor have recently become more
competitive with Travis-CI (though mostly because Travis-CI seems to
have become slower).  However, AppVeyor doesn't seem to schedule several
build configurations in parallel, so this is best used as a smoke test
with a single build configuration (also, the test suite could be run in
a less thorough mode).

Thanks for all the work!

Regards