[python-committers] 2FA: only needed at the *first* GitHub login, not needed for commits

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 04:42:56 EST 2017

Hi,

On the "Security: please enable 2-factor authentication on GitHub and
your email" thread that I started, I see many people afraid of being
annoyed everyday by 2FA (2-factor authentication, called
"Authentication code" in GitHub).

Let me explain how GitHub uses 2FA.

* Let's say that you are not logged on GitHub (or log out to test yourself).
* Log in GitHub: enter email and password, then you are asked for an
"Authentication code".
* You're logged in, congrats :-)
* Close Firefox
* Open Firefox, go to GitHub: you are already logged in. No more
password nor Authentication code asked.

Hum... that's it :-) I don't know how long the GitHub cookie remains
valid, but it's very rare (maybe once per month? or once every 3
months??) for me to have to log in again. And usually, it's because I
log out on purpose.

Ok, now you can to push a pull request using SSH:

* Step 1: git push (...)
* There is no step 2 :-)

There is no 2FA here. If I understood correctly, for HTTPS, there is
no 2FA neither.

So where is the 2FA?

* New log in

The 2FA is not needed for:

* (If you are already logged in) Disabling 2FA doesn't require an
authentication code. I just checked for you :-)
* Adding a new SSH key to your account only requires your password,
but the authentication code is also accepted instead of the password

So what is the point of 2FA? It protects the log in. If an attacker
has your password without the 2FA key, they are unable to log in.

>From what I see, the 2FA doesn't protect against pushing commits if
the attacker steal your SSH key or your HTTPS password. My
understanding is that it's more common to get a password stolen than a
SSH key. While you have to write the password regulary in web forms,
GitHub only requires your SSH *public key* (only asked you, when
adding a new key). The risk of leaking a SSH private key by mistake is
much lower. For example, a browser doesn't ask you to store your SSH
private key, only your password. For HTTPS: well, try to avoid HTTPS
and prefer SSH? :-)

A few months ago, using a Yubikey is Firefox required a plugin. Good
news: since Firefox 57 (or even Firefox 56), U2F support is now
builtin! But it's still experimental and so disabled by default (it's
a simple flag that has to be set to true in about:config):

https://www.yubico.com/2017/11/how-to-navigate-fido-u2f-in-firefox-quantum/

Google has the same 2FA design. It stores a cookie and so once you are
logged on your computer, the 2FA is no more used. There is a check box
like "[x] Remember this computer" or something like that. The 2FA
matters you someone tries to use your password on a different
computer.

At work, I have a different experience with 2FA. It's much more
stricter. I have to use my 2FA at least once a day, or more frequently
depending on the services that I have to use. So yeah, I understand
that some people who already suffer from that don't want to be annoyed
on the Python project.

Victor