[python-committers] Security: please enable 2-factor authentication on GitHub and your email

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Mon Dec 11 08:07:34 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 08:00:37AM -0500, Alex Gaynor wrote:
> It's possible to generate a key on a regular computer and transfer it to a
> YubiKey if you prefer. (It's not like software key generation has been
> flawless either; [OpenSSL/Debian fiasco]. Oh well, such is life).

Thanks, I did not know that.

I'm still against overuse of public key cryptography (also in home
banking).  The reason is simply that *if* you're the victim of a
key generation screwup that is not yet publicly known, you have a lot
of explaining to do.

This is one of the standard reasons many cryptography experts give
against home banking using card readers.

It puts all the responsibility on the customer/user.

Stefan Krah