[python-committers] Mentoring Julien Palard (core), Cheryl Sabella (bug) and Sanyam Khurana (bug)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 20:41:58 EST 2017

On 10 December 2017 at 09:46, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> The point is, in Martin's judgement (and I have had no reason to doubt
> it in the years that have followed) is that it is a far more common
> problem for newly promoted people to be afraid to screw up than it is
> for someone to go rogue and not listen when communicated with.  In my
> experience the latter has happened only once, and we have a lot of
> people with triage privileges.

+1 - "Who am I to have this power?" is a pretty common reaction to
community promotions, so erring on the side of "I trust your
judgement, so you should trust your judgement" is a good way to go.

But at the same time, we should make it clear that "Help me better
calibrate my judgement" is an entirely appropriate use case for the
core-mentorship list (and we keep those archives closed so they're not
available to search engines).

Cheers,
Nick.