[python-committers] Requirements to get the "bug triage" permission?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 11:32:13 EST 2017

>> Aha. Maybe we need some tooling, like statistics on contributions to the
>> bug tracker, just to detect earlier active "bug triagers"?
>>

> This can be done (e.g. the famous highscores page we have been talking about).

My opinion on such statistics is that they must not be public. I don't
want to reward the highest number of contributions. As I wrote in the
process documentation, what matters is the quality and kind of the
contributions, and also the commitment.

But a private tool, only accessible to core dev for example, would
easy the work of identifying active contributors.

> There are however other triagers that just go through the issues and
> adjust fields or comment, even if they have no intention of working on
> the issue itself.
> While it's technically true that there might be people that want to
> triage but not contribute code, most of them do contribute, and triage
> while going through the issues.

Hum, as Ned Deily wrote, some people don't want to become core
developers and are fine to contribute as regular contributors. I
should clarify this in the document.

By the way, since the migration to Git and GitHub, contributing
without being a core dev became simpler IMHO.

>> My hope is that many contributors are potential core developers but were
>> stuck somewhere, and failed to get the right documentation or mentor to
>> unblock them.
>>

> This is a good point, but indeed, how many are contributing with the
> goal and hope of becoming core devs?  How many are contributing
> because they like the project, and would be happy to become core devs?
>  How many are just scratching a itch but otherwise have no desire to
> contribute to other aspects of the project?
> Finding an answer to these questions might help understanding where
> are the problems that need to be addressed.

Ow, these are tricky questions! Maybe a poll sent to contributors, or
to python-dev, would help?

Victor