[python-committers] Requirements to get the "bug triage" permission?

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 12:45:33 EST 2017

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:11 PM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ok, thanks Ezio and David. I completed my list:
> https://github.com/vstinner/cpython_core_tutorial/blob/master/core_developer.rst#bug-tracker
>
> My initial question is to know if bug triage permission can be seen as
> a first "award" / "badge" to recognize that contributions of someone
> are useful. Contributions can only be made of code pull requests, or
> another "project" tightly coupled to CPython like the documentation,
> the development workflow, etc.
>
> My problem is now that the list of requirements is very long. It's
> like you should already practice triage for weeks before being seen as
> ready to get the triage power.
>
> So do you think that it's bad idea to use triage as an award? Or is it
> just a matter of adjusting requirements?

Depends on what you exactly mean with "award".
Contributors might want to be able to edit more fields on the tracker,
and the triage bit allows them to do it.  This is beneficial for both
the contributor and the other triagers, since they have one more
helping hand.  If the contributor knows what they are doing and they
are helpful, we can "award" them with the triager bit, but this award
shouldn't be given for unrelated accomplishments.
Becoming a triager is a step to becoming a committer: we bestow them
with some responsibility and trust, and if they do well, we can give
them even more with the committer bit.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti