[python-committers] Codecov and PR

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Apr 22 12:43:42 EDT 2017

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 at 15:33 Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ah, I found a workaround: Firefox on Android has a "[x] See the computer
> version" option which allows the merge!?
>
> Victor
>
> Le 22 avr. 2017 12:29 AM, "Victor Stinner" <victor.stinner at gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to merge a pull request on my phone, but I got the error:
>>
>> "Pull requests that have a failing status can’t be merged on a phone."

Well that's annoying.

>> The GitHub PEP announced that it will be possible to merge a change from
>> the beach. Well, it's doable but only if you bring a laptop, not a phone :-)
>>
>> All tests pass except Codecov which is unstable. On a computer, I can
>> merge such PR.
>>
>> What is the status of Codecov? Is someone actively working on fixing it
>> to make it more reliable.

https://github.com/python/core-workflow/issues/38 is tracking trying to fix
the inconsistency problem and
https://github.com/python/core-workflow/issues/18 is tracking getting a
more complete coverage report.

I would like to see this fixed and it's on my workflow todo list, but
obviously that list is not short so I don't know when I will get to it
(especially since at some point I will need to take a workflow break and
actually write code and review PRs again ;) .

> I dislike code coverage in general, even more when it's run in a CI.
>>
>> Can we change the merge policy to allow merge on a phone? Or can we fix
>> Codecov?

We might be able to turn off the status check. The config file is
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/.codecov.yml and the docs are
at https://docs.codecov.io/docs/codecov-yaml (I'm on vacation so I don't
have time to look up the exact config change since I really shouldn't even
be replying to this email ;) .

>> Note: the PR is
>> https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/1237#pullrequestreview-34044762
>>
>> Codecov says "10% of diff hit (target: 100%)". The newly added code is
>> tested on Windows on release build. Maybe Codecov only tests on Windows?

Codecov actually only runs under Travis, so it's only testing on Linux.

>> I dislike code coverage because there is a temptation to write artficial
>> tests whereas the code is tested indirectly or the code is not important
>> enough to *require* tests.

I personally disagree as code that isn't tested isn't checked that at least
some semblance of backwards-compatibility is being kept. Now I'm not
advocating we must have explicit tests for every line or code, but I think
we should somehow exercise as much code as possible.