[python-committers] I have blocked Wes Turner from the Python org on GitHub

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sat Apr 1 16:24:15 EDT 2017

On Sat, 01 Apr 2017 15:08:27 -0400, Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll be another voice saying that the CoC isn't the right mechanism -- the
> CoC is for harassment and abuse (at least, most community's CoCs are, the
> Python one is pretty vague).
>
> That said, I have no problem with the action taken, banning people who are
> extremely unproductive is a necessary step for open source communities, and
> one I think we are all extremely reticent to take, so much so that it got
> it's own chapter in the excellent book, Producing Open Source Software:
> http://producingoss.com/en/difficult-people.html

Add my voice to this set.  I agree especially with Alex's second
paragraph above, so I really appreciate Brett being willing to take
this on.

Regardless of whether or not Python's CoC technically covers this case
(I'm not going to argue that one way or another), as Alex observed:
in the world we currently live in that term has way to much freight
attached to be appropriate for the issue we have with Wes.  That's
sad, because it means it doesn't actually matter all that much what
the CoC actually *says* :(.

--David