[python-committers] 3.6 branch now open only for 3.6.0 release critical fixes and doc updates!

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Tue Nov 22 15:40:06 EST 2016

On 22Nov2016 1150, R. David Murray wrote:
> Being who we are (precisionist programmers), the inconsistency between
> "beta release cuts off features" and "last beta before RC cuts off
> non-release-critical fixes" does produce some cognitive dissonance.
> I've seen the RC described as "the first beta that might be turned into
> the production release", and if you think of it that way it makes it
> easier to remember that we're restricting commits in order to produce that
> "special beta".  That is probably better, conceptually, than producing
> an RC that we fully expect will require release-critical bug fixes because
> we just committed a bunch of non-release-critical bug fixes, just
> so cutoff-when-the-name-changes stays consistent.

It might also help if the version info was updated to (for example)
"3.6.0rc1-" rather than "3.6.0b4+", to emphasize that any work going on
in that branch is work against RC and not against a beta.

I'm not sure that a trailing '-' is the right way to mark this. Maybe
"rc1+dev" or similar?

Cheers,
Steve