[python-committers] Promote Xiang Zhang as a core developer

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 11:21:07 EST 2016

> Since the first commit 8 months ago I counted about 50 Xiang's committed
> patches, and most of them were committed by me (other 10 core developers
> committed form 1 to 4 Xiang's patches). He helped with reviewing  patches and
> discussing issues. His C skills was good 8 months ago, and now he is known
> with CPython style and workflow. He sees beneath the surface and understands
> that he need to consider edge cases and side effects.

Cool :-)

> From technical point there is no need to grant him commit rights, because I
> and other core developers commit his patches. Almost all his patches are
> commited (there are few issues in progress and there are few documentation
> issues). But for motivating purpose I support this proposition.

For me, the main reason to give the commit bit is to motivate
contributors :-) I know that many people are proud to be core
developers (but don't say it loudly ;-)) and it keeps them motivated.

> Unfortunately there is truth in Berker's words. Yes, Xiang tends to fix things
> that don't look obviously broken (for example see issue28398 [1] and
> issue28531 [2]). This may have been partially my fault, because I committed
> his patches that would not dare to offer himself. He is inclined not to accept
> comments obediently, but start a discussion. Not sure this is certainly bad.

I look at these two patches and the patch looks good to me, but it's
also right that they don't fix any bug. I will make sure that Xiang
understands well that changes in CPython must be carefully reviewed by
others, and that sometimes it's just fine to abandon patches.

Victor