[python-committers] Promote Xiang Zhang as a core developer

Berker Peksağ berker.peksag at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 19:10:52 EST 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last months, I noticed that Xiang Zhang is very active on the bug
> tracker and propose many enhancements and bug fixes. He contributes to
> Python code, but also to the C code (a rare skill nowadays). Slowly,
> he understood how to produce "good" patches, the CPython workflow,
> etc. I think that his contributions are now good enough to give him
> the commit bit.
>
> As I did previously (for Xavier), I also propose to be his mentor the
> first month: request him to ask me before pushing anything, help him
> with Mercurial, branches, etc. So I can help to avoid simple mistakes
> and to not break the buildbot too often :-)
>
> Maybe Serhiy Storchaka and/or Yury Selivanov may want to co-mentor
> Xiang? Serhiy reviewed many of Xiang's patches recently.

I also reviewed and pushed Xiang's patches. Xiang tends to fix things
that are not broken, and when you point out that the thing they are
trying to fix is not broken, they try to start an endless discussion.
I also saw a couple of instances where they refused to address code
review comments from experienced core developers (which is a red flag
for me)

--Berker