[python-committers] Making the PSF CoC apply to core developers

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Sat Mar 5 02:33:14 EST 2016

Le 05/03/2016 07:07, Raymond Hettinger a écrit :

>> On Mar 4, 2016, at 4:07 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> I guess I'm just worried about the health of this project. I'm doing what I can through the migration to GitHub to make it easier for others to get involved while making it easier for us to accept the work of others, but the maintenance and health of this team worries me. For instance, if you look at the developer's log you will notice we only gained 2 core devs for all of 2015 and the last one was August 2015:
>
> Last year on this list, I recommended that Davin Potts be granted
> core
developer status for his on-going work on the multiprocessing module.
This group collectively said no, leaving Davin in an odd and
uncomfortable limbo.

This is a partial way to put it.  You recommended Davin while he had no
experience contributing to CPython.  This was why your proposal was
rejected, and it was the only decent answer to your proposal IMHO.  It
is unfair to promote people on the basis of their sole name or
professional occupation (not to mention that those can be very
inefficient criteria in practice...), all the while asking others to
prove themselves through patches and code reviews.

(see
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/2015-January/003240.html
-- note mail.p.o seems down here and now)

If we want contributors to feel they are treated equally and decently
regardless of their personal acquaintances or non-CPython experiences,
then we should continue judging them on the basis of their actual
contributions, not some a priori positive feelings about them.  I think
most people on this list agree this is necessary.

Regards