[python-committers] Making the PSF CoC apply to core developers

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 01:07:43 EST 2016

> On Mar 4, 2016, at 4:07 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>
> I guess I'm just worried about the health of this project. I'm doing what I can through the migration to GitHub to make it easier for others to get involved while making it easier for us to accept the work of others, but the maintenance and health of this team worries me. For instance, if you look at the developer's log you will notice we only gained 2 core devs for all of 2015 and the last one was August 2015:

Last year on this list, I recommended that Davin Potts be granted core developer status for his on-going work on the multiprocessing module.  This group collectively said no, leaving Davin in an odd and uncomfortable limbo.

The social barriers to entry proved too high even for an seasoned open source developer, the former chief scientist at Continuum, who had already devoted substantial time to reviewing the 100+ tracker entries for multiprocessing, who had expressed a willingness to handle complex and neglected tasks, and who was recommended by an active core developer.

If someone of his stature faces an uphill battle, then perhaps there is reason to worry.

Raymond