[python-committers] PEP process with github

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Jul 23 16:20:18 EDT 2016

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016, 13:17 Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2016, 12:15 Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> With PEPs now being hosted on github, is there any specific process
>> for handling reviews/discussions on the github tracker? PEP 1 doesn't
>> mention the matter, other than to note that discussions "may also
>> occur on a list other than python-dev" although the approach of having
>> a Discussions-To header doesn't really work well there.
>>
>> My suggestion (which is basically what we've been doing with PEP 514)
>> is that PEP discussions are acceptable on the tracker, but comments on
>> the core list should be monitored as well (and responded to on-list).
>>

> The problem with this is it bifurcates the discussion. I do think that all
> grammar fixes and such like that should be on GitHub as a PR. And I do
> think PEPs still need to be announced here. But whether the discussion
> happens here or GitHub, I don't think we should split it.

And I should mention that the reason I think it worked with the latest PEP
is people seemed fine wirh the overall pep while you and Steve hashed out
the finer details on GitHub. If you want to say general discussion is here
and I once it's down to the finer details with the pronouncer on GitHub
then that seems fine as well.