[python-committers] PEP process with github

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jul 23 16:15:20 EDT 2016

On Jul 23, 2016, at 08:15 PM, Paul Moore wrote:

>With PEPs now being hosted on github, is there any specific process
>for handling reviews/discussions on the github tracker? PEP 1 doesn't
>mention the matter, other than to note that discussions "may also
>occur on a list other than python-dev" although the approach of having
>a Discussions-To header doesn't really work well there.

I think it could.  A Discussions-To header could point to the tracker issue
URL; it doesn't have to be an email address.  You just want to give people a
pointer for where the discussion is happening, or has happened.

>My suggestion (which is basically what we've been doing with PEP 514)
>is that PEP discussions are acceptable on the tracker, but comments on
>the core list should be monitored as well (and responded to on-list).
>When the PEP is ready for acceptance, a posting of the final version
>should be made to the list, and the acceptance email should be posted
>to the list (so that there's a permanent record of the acceptance,
>which can be linked to in the PEP).
>
>Is that reasonable? Does it need an update to PEP 1 to cover it? If
>so, should I post a PR for PEP 1? Or is it obvious enough to be
>assumed without needing the bureaucracy of updating PEP 1?

It seems generally reasonable to me.

My own opinion is that PEPs should not be accepted without at least some
interactions on python-dev.  For PEPs where the primary discussion happens on
that list, no Discussions-To should be need.  Where most of the discussion
happens elsewhere (e.g. on a topic sig), the Discussions-To header points the
way, but regular postings on python-dev helps make sure that people are aware
of it.

I don't think we need any substantive changes to PEP 1, but if you want to
suggest some better wording to make this new avenue of PEP development more
clear, please do submit a PR against PEP 1.

Cheers,
-Barry