[python-committers] We will be moving to GitHub (hopefully) in 2016

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Tue Jan 12 00:45:34 EST 2016

On 01/04/2016 10:59 PM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> Is it possible to keep the same hashes in both Mercurial and Git? Or
> at least the same short hashes?

tl;dr: it's impossible.

The hash is a SHA1 of the revision's "manifest", which contains all the
metadata about the revision.  To preserve the Mercurial hashes would
mean doing something vile like rewriting these hashes after populating
the repo.  If this worked at all, it would be terribly fragile; my guess
is that many git commands (e.g. "git fsck") would notice and view it as
damage.

The short hashes are simply the unique leading part of the hash, so they
would only be preserved if we could preserve the full hashes.

//arry/