[python-committers] Making the PSF CoC apply to core developers

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Feb 27 12:18:28 EST 2016

On 27.02.2016 13:07, Stefan Krah wrote:
> Brett Cannon <brett <at> python.org> writes:
>
>> I noticed that the devguide didn't explicitly mention that core developers
> were expected to follow the PSF CoC
> (https://docs.python.org/devguide/coredev.html and
> https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/, respectively). I have
> opened http://bugs.python.org/issue26446 to make sure it gets documented.
>> Since this is technically a modification of the requirements of getting
> commit privileges I wanted to mention it here before I (or anyone else) made
> the change.
>
> When I started here, the PSF and python-dev were considered disjoint
> entities (quoting MvL from memory). Looking at
>
>   https://www.python.org/psf/records/board/history/ ,
>
> half of the current directors have never appeared anywhere on the python-dev
> infrastructure, most notably on python-checkins.
>
> Contrast this with e.g. the period of 2003-2004, where I still know all of
> the directors even though I did not know Python at that time!
>
> Some very prolific contributors do not appear in the list of PSF members at all.
>

> This particular CoC specifically addresses conference misbehavior, which is
> fine.

The PSF CoC has a focus on community interaction, not on conferences.
It's different from eg. the PyCon US conference CoC.

>  No CoC short of an 800 page volume can address the many forms of
> human shortcomings in more complex situations.  I'm not going to go into
> detail here, but "suaviter in modo, fortiter in re", even though usually
> depicted as desirable behavior, can easily lead to more stagnation and
> friction than occasional superficial impoliteness.
>
> I think python-dev should remain an entity where interested people can just
> come and "hack on something" instead of being overburdened by regulations.
>
> As for the devguide, briefly mentioning the categorical imperative should
> suffice. ;)

While I don't like the term "code of conduct", I do believe that
the text itself provides a reasonable summary of what we all expect
from Python community interactions. It's certainly more
easily comprehensible than philosophical models of moral
and ethics such as Kant's categorical imperative or the more modern
discourse ethics of Habermas.

Mix all that with a good dose of Monty Python's don't-take-yourself-
too-seriously, add some Tim Peters takes-one-to-know-one-ly and
I believe we can all be on the same page :-)

Hmm, perhaps we ought to make reading some Python humor a
prerequisite for core developers instead...

https://www.python.org/doc/humor/

Only-half-joking-ly,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Feb 27 2016)
2016-02-19: Released eGenix PyRun 2.1.2 ...       http://egenix.com/go88

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/