[python-committers] Deprecation Policy PEP

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 01:54:43 EST 2016

On 3 February 2016 at 11:00, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Feb 03, 2016, at 11:03 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>>The point being, I'm not entirely sure I agree that a major version bump
>>would *necessarily* be considered a big deal, let alone a barrier to
>>adoption.
>
> The problem isn't so much the major version bump, but what to do about the
> command name on *nix.  I'm admittedly biased about that being "the"
> problem. ;)

You beat me to bringing it up :)

> I think you'd get a lot of resistance if you named it 'python'.  You can't
> name it 'python3'.  Maybe 'python4' would be okay, but please let's not do
> that any time soon.  We're still in the midst of a transition to Python 3 and
> I think anything that muddies those waters will just mean more FUD that some
> of us front-liners have to contend with.

Although if anyone has both the C/POSIX skills and the necessary
roundtuits to help move Geoffrey Thomas's "pythonmux" [1] idea
forward, we may be able to settle the preferred behaviour of the
"/usr/bin/python" path once and for all.

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] https://github.com/geofft/pythonmux