[python-committers] Idea: listing commercial prioritisation options as a new section in the developer guide?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 11:29:25 CEST 2015

On 20 September 2015 at 03:04, Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> wrote:

> Le 19/09/2015 18:45, Nick Coghlan a écrit :
>>
>> That's part of it, but I also think we (as in those of us with commit
>> privileges that are also professional developers) bear the
>> responsibility for deciding how transparent we want to be about the
>> commercial aspects of the development process that have emerged over
>> time, rather than having that responsibility fall on the PSF.
>
> You have a very good point here.  Thank you for spelling it.

I've posted a draft patch at http://bugs.python.org/issue25194

Based on this discussion, I used the "disclosure of interests" aspect
as the primary framing - the specific name, "Register of Financial
Interests", is often used for that purpose in a political context. The
stakes are much lower here, so the proposal is limited to only
covering our primary financial interest, and even then remaining
entirely voluntary, but the general concept is the same: providing
folks with relevant background information while holding a position
that grants structural power above and beyond our personal influence
with others.

I've suggested 5 draft categories based on my personal knowledge of
what some of the other core developers do for a living:

* Consultants and Freelance Developers
* Software Development Education & Training
* Commercial Python Redistributors
* Other Commercial Organizations
* Non-Commercial Organizations

Regards,