[python-committers] PSA: replace your DSA keys for SSH

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 09:56:16 CEST 2015

On 8 October 2015 at 03:58, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
>> Just noting that the Windows section of the devguide:
>>
>>     https://docs.python.org/devguide/faq.html
>>
>> should probably be changed to say something other than the current:
>>
>>     Use PuTTYgen to generate your public key. Choose the
>>     “SSH2 DSA” radio button,
>>
>> That may be a clue as to why Windows devs generated DSA keys to begin
>> with ;-)
>>
>> PuTTYgen also has a "SSH-2 RSA" radio button, and #-of-bits box into
>> which 4096 can be typed.
>
> Thank you. I updated the page with exactly you suggest yesterday. The
> automatic doc building process unfortunately hadn't run yet.

Ah. Presumably this means my current key no longer works and has been
revoked. I had been reading the emails assuming that I was likely OK
as a new committer, and not really understanding what all these
acronyms meant. I guess I'll need to get around to redoing my keys as
well...

In future cases like this, it might be worth publishing a list of who
is affected and changing the docs *before* making the change :-)

Paul