[python-committers] Python 3.6 Release Schedule Details

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 15:28:27 CEST 2015

On 3 October 2015 at 05:41, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2015, at 10:20, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
>> That said, I do feel the amount of pre-release testing, even in the beta
>> part of the cycle, has increased steadily in the past two or three
>> releases, which is great to see.
>
> Yes, it has.  Also, some of the third-party distributors - Ubuntu and MacPorts come to mind - have been more aggressive about pushing betas and even alphas out for wider exposure.  Anything we can do on the Windows side to help get more exposure earlier would be great, too.

We also looked at trying to land 3.5 for this month's Fedora 23
release (which would have involved bringing the pre-releases into
Fedora Rawhide), but decided it more sense to prioritise further work
on the Python 3 migration instead. That competing task won't be there
for the 3.6 release, so with any luck the draft release schedule
should align nicely with bringing at least the release candidates, and
potentially one or more of the later beta releases, into Fedora
Rawhide for F26.

On the Windows front, might it be worth considering setting up
semi-automated MSI installer testing on Appveyor?
http://www.appveyor.com/docs/build-configuration#installing-additional-software
indicates it should be able to do installations from the python.org
binaries, and it could be triggered from a repo containing download
URLs for the installers to be tested (for example).

Cheers,
Nick.