[python-committers] Weak SSH keys

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Tue Jun 2 17:19:07 CEST 2015

Someone ran an experiment looking at the SSH keys used on GitHub
(public keys are accessible through the API):

https://blog.benjojo.co.uk/post/auditing-github-users-keys

Excerpt:

	I remembered back to the May 2008 Debian OpenSSH bug, where
	the randomness source was compromised to the point where the
	system could only generate one of 32k keys in a set.

	I used g0tmi1k’s set of keys to compare against what I had in
	my database, and found a very large amount of users who are
	still using vulnerable keys, and even worse, have commit
	access to some really large and wide projects including:

	Crypto libraries to Python
	Django
	Python’s core

CPython is not officially on github, so committing evil stuff to the
github mirror may not matter very much, but these users may have the
same key configured for hg.python.org.  Should we check everyone's SSH
keys?

--amk