[python-committers] "Gratuitous"? incompatibilities in the "fix only" releases

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 09:15:00 CEST 2015

On 30 July 2015 at 03:50, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> When in doubt, such discussions should be escalated to python-dev. I don't
> know if this one was, though I vaguely recall seeing it discussed somewhere.
> Anyway, since it's been released, it should stay in.

>From a communications perspective, we may want to expand the
https://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.html#new-features-added-to-python-2-7-maintenance-releases
backport documentation idea to also cover this kind of change that
closes a network security hole, but may result in an exception in code
that previously appeared to be doing the right thing.

Regards,
Nick.