[python-committers] More explicit Code of Conduct for the issue tracker & core mailing lists?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 09:05:04 CEST 2015

On 17 July 2015 at 01:49, Meador Inge <meadori at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Given the global nature of the lists, I think we should be giving
>> folks *at least* 24 hours to reply to a question before assuming
>> they're not going to respond, and given that only some of us get to
>> count reading and replying to python-dev threads as work time, a few
>> days leeway would be better (perhaps even a week to account for folks
>> that are busy with other things during the week and mostly contribute
>> on weekends). Those of us that *do* get paid for this also need to try
>> to remember to account for that asymmetry in available time for
>> participation.
>
> To me this depends on why the change is being questioned.  If there is
> a question about why a change was made or a minor bug was found in
> post-commit review*, then I agree it can wait a few days.  On the other
> hand, if someone commits a change that turns all the build-bots red and
> doesn't respond for several hours, then I would think that is fair game
> to revert.
>
> So, I do think reverting changes is a very reasonable course of action at
> times.  It should just be used judiciously.

I agree. The problem at the moment is that the norms around various
things (particularly relating to pre-commit and post-commit review)
are not only largely unwritten but have also changed over time, so we
sometimes get mismatched expectations.

Longer term, there are actually some real tooling problems worth
fixing (hence the forge.python.org proposals, and the core workflow
GSoC projects), but a bit more clarity in our expectations wouldn't
hurt in the meantime.

Cheers,
Nick.