[python-committers] More explicit Code of Conduct for the issue tracker & core mailing lists?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jul 16 07:34:15 CEST 2015

Three things. One, I won't hold this view against you, Steven, nor should
anyone else. You expressed an opinion politely and it wasn't somehow
prejudiced against a group of people. You should never worry about
expressing an unpopular opinion as long as it's done with respect and not
flat-out evil like being racist or something. The whole point of CoCs is to
make it so people feel welcome to express themselves.

Two, the PSF CoC is not retroactively applied to all things. For instance,
this list does not fall under the CoC (notice no mention in the footer nor
at https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-committers). So deciding
to apply the PSF CoC to all things related to the development of Python
would require something like a PEP.

And three, we need a CoC. Not to explicitly call anyone out, but in the
past week or so I have heard peoples' ideas called "ridiculous" and been
told to "shut up" on various mailing lists. I have met people at PyCon
numerous times who have viewed at least python-dev as at minimum cold and
possibly hostile to people, and that's simply not the kind of environment I
would like to foster. I honestly think all of us -- including me -- have
been way too tolerant of core devs having bad attitudes and not calling
them out on it, especially when they simply got too passionate and lost
their composure (the magic of email is we can think before we send so
tolerating outbursts of any regularity really shouldn't happen). Part of
this tolerance for bad attitudes has been cultural, but having a CoC would
help to start changing that by making people feel comfortable in standing
up and stating they thought someone had been rude.

Anyway, that's why I support having a CoC that applies to everything
involving Python's development.

-Brett from a tablet