[python-committers] JetBrains licenses for IDEs

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 19 03:34:55 EST 2015

Several committers have used JetBrains' PyCharm IDE in the past, and I am the
person who initially requested a license for Python committers. The last
license we had expired a while ago, and a couple of people asked me about
renewals.  So I applied to JetBrains for a renewed license.

They have now very kindly responded with licenses for Python committers - not
just for PyCharm but for a number of their other development tools as well -
including IntelliJ IDEA, AppCode, CLion, PyCharm and others. The terms of the
license (which is valid for a year, but should be renewable) restricts usage
to development of non-commercial, open source software.

JetBrains' new licensing model means that (IIUC) each user needs to have a
JetBrains account. Once you have set one up, let me know if you're interested
in using the tools and I'll email you a link you can visit to get your
license. Please note that we have a limited pool of licenses, and each click
of the link will, I understand, take one license from the pool. Please don't
share this link with anyone else, and if another committer asks you about it,
please refer them to me (so that I can keep track of who has what).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip