[python-committers] Would anyone STOP contributing to Python if we used GitHub?

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Tue Dec 15 16:51:07 EST 2015

On 15/12/15 18:11, Brett Cannon wrote:

> I'm sorry if this came off as a threat that I'm holding over people to
> scare them or it comes off as me trying to be a bully to people. I'm
> simply trying to make sure I get answers to this question which are
> truly sincere and the importance of the answer is properly communicated.

I don't like github. Centralization is a threat and I try to do as much
as I can to counterbalance it. That Python developers helps github to
get bigger even is something to be sad about.

I love Mercurial. I think that GIT is inconsistent and dangerous, and
the only reason for its success is networking effect and services like
github. I must say that I was proud of Python committers when the
decision to migrate to Mercurial was done.

I have quite strong opinions about all this.

That said, I value Python a lot and my status as a core developer, even
if my contributions are sparse. I want to help to improve the language
and I enjoy to be part of the process.

Migrating to github, if it happens, WILL NOT stop my contributions at
all, but for me is a lost battle against centralization, independence,
and what Internet should be. Helping to grow a private business where WE
would be the product, with a future plan/roadmap we don't have a word
about and just to use a closed source product. Interestingly, git was
created as a reaction to bitkeeper closed product...
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29#History>.

I realize that my weight as a very low activity committer is minimal and
I don't have an alternative proposal. Just voicing my disappointment.

PS: Given a migration to a closed service, I would rather prefer to
migrate to bitbucket, even using GIT (puf!), just to help to keep alive
a healthy competition to GitHUB.

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/