[python-committers] Would anyone STOP contributing to Python if we used GitHub?

Senthil Kumaran senthil at uthcode.com
Tue Dec 15 15:41:23 EST 2015

Hello Ethan,

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> Those links are a year and half old, so if there is current evidence to
> the contrary I'm interested in seeing it.

These are the follow-up articles which state that Github Inc has taken some
actions to correct the "mistakes" they might have done.

https://github.com/blog/1826-follow-up-to-the-investigation-results
https://github.com/blog/2039-adopting-the-open-code-of-conduct

> If there is not, then it behooves us to act according to our own words
> claiming support for women and not use GitHUb, perhaps even blogging about
> our decision and its reasons to apply some pressure to them to affect a
> change.
>
> I sincerely hope I am not alone in these feelings.

As you noted, they are more than a year old and re-churning this may not be
in our best interest IMHO. It is like ignoring any action the company might
have done to correct mistakes (the above blog links).

I am +1 on moving development to Github because of technical reasons. If we
have doubts on the culture of the company, it may be a good idea to talk
directly to their public relations department or an informal chat with
women who currently work at Github and get a firsthand view of the place
and not be biased with reports in media, especially the old ones.

Thanks,
Senthil