[python-committers] commit 93025:1c2c44313408 removed (at least) 2.7.9 NEWS entries

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Oct 18 01:47:46 CEST 2014

On 10/17/2014 6:26 PM, Charles-François Natali wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 10:55, Matthias Klose wrote:
>>> The commit 93025:1c2c44313408 removed almost all NEWS entries which were
>>> added
>>> after the 2.7.8 release.  I didn't check for other files, but maybe
>>> somebody
>>> more familiar with this commit/merge should have a look.
>>
>> I've just pushed a commit fixing up NEWS.
>
> Sorry about that, I don't know what happened.

I believe that you were merging heads: see

https://docs.python.org/devguide/faq.html#i-got-abort-push-creates-new-remote-heads-while-pushing-what-do-i-do

 From the dag, it appears "You forgot to run hg pull and/or hg up before
committing" so that your repository was stale.  From the merge
changeset, is appears you forget " While not strictly necessary, it is
highly recommended to switch to the other head before merging." If you
had, "This way you will be merging only your changeset with the rest,"
the head merge changeset would have been more or less the same as your
original changeset, instead of what it is. "and in case of conflicts it
will be a lot easier."  I suspect your addition to Misc/NEWS conficted
with at least one in the other head.  hg does not always do NEWS merges
properly even when there is no conflict.  One should check NEWS diffs
after a merge.  (So one should pull just before editing NEWS and then
pull again before committing, so there will only be a pull-merge
conflict if someone pushes after the first pull, while one is editing.)

If you had been merging your new head, with one small NEWS addition,
into the old head, and still had a problem getting a proper NEWS diff,
you would have had the option of reverting NEWS to the old head, editing
the new entry in by hand, and declaring the conflict resolved.  I
routinely have to do this when merging Idle NEWS entries from 3.4 to 3.5.

--
Terry