[python-committers] Status of the Derby, and request for another slip

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jan 26 23:16:44 CET 2014

On Jan 26, 2014, at 01:59 PM, Eli Bendersky wrote:

>This actually sounds like a real and interesting reason to have stable
>Python 3.4 out in march. Ubuntu 14.04 is a LTS, which makes it an important
>version for corporate distributions.

Ubuntu 14.04 feature freeze is Feb 20, with beta 1 coming on Feb 27, so I
think we have to make a hard decision about whether Python 3.4 will be the
default before then (actually, Matthias and I will discuss it this week).

If we go with 3.4 as default, then 14.04 final beta is March 27th.  Python
3.4's final release is currently schedule for March 16, but that doesn't
include the proposed additional beta.  Pushing everything back a week means
the schedule is quite tight, so we may have to plan on doing an SRU (stable
release upgrade) to the final Python 3.4.  That's not ideal though because it
means a lot of users may not get it (if they don't upgrade), and most probably
won't see it until 14.04.1 is released some time later.

The closer Python 3.4 can stick to the March 16th release, the better.

-Barry