[python-committers] Status of the Derby, and request for another slip

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 14:27:00 CET 2014

On 26 January 2014 23:15, Tal Einat <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Having worked intensively on the Derby for over a week, I feel an urge
> to see it through soon. The least we could do is to stop adding
> features to clinic.py, only fixing bugs; convert everything that is
> possible to convert now and mark everything else appropriately; and
> leave tying up the loose ends for 3.5.

Actually, I think one thing we need to consider is when Larry plans to
make the maintenance branch for 3.4. I believe historically, we have
done that with the first release candidate, so the current schedule
would allow clinic conversions for 3.5 to resume in just couple of
weeks time. The difference between the beta and RC period is that only
critical regressions discovered in the RC are considered for inclusion
- even normal bug fixing is typically postponed until after the
release at that point. Any fixes incorporated during that period
typically involve at least three core devs (release manager to say yes
to including the fix, one to write a patch, another to review it).

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. There are a couple of builtin docstring fixes I now plan to apply
directly, since I won't be converting those to Argument Clinic for 3.4
after all.