[python-committers] PEP 462: Workflow automation for CPython

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 26 01:33:39 CET 2014

On 1/25/2014 9:54 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Interesting. Chromium has something kind-of similar, named "commit queue",
>> for developers without actual commit access. Once they get an LGTM, the
>> thing rolls automatically. In fact, core developers often find it useful too
>> because the Chromium tree is sometimes closed ("red"). We don't really do
>> the latter in Python, which carries a problem we'll probably need to resolve
>> first - how to know that the bots are green enough. That really needs human
>> attention.
>
> Another interesting (and relevant, I think) concept from the Mozilla
> community is the Try Server, where you can push a work-in-progress
> patch to see how it does on all the platforms. I.e. it runs all the
> same tests that build slaves run, but the repository it works against
> isn't accessible publicly, so you can try your work without breaking
> the main tree.

What would be very useful would be the ability to run a single test case
function for a bug report on 2.7, 3.3, and 3.4 on mac, linux, and window
in order to delineate the scope of an issue. Right now, the op or first
developer mush hope that people with different systems will show up and
run the bug test on the three branches.

Terry