[python-committers] Updated schedule for Python 3.4

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Fri Jan 17 06:34:02 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014, at 06:03 PM, Kristján Valur Jónsson wrote:
> I never got the impression that this was a matter of funding, Nick.
> And while I completely understand that core developers enjoy working in 3
> much more, it was decided to not accept any improvements for a +2.7
> version even from those that would do so voluntarily.  This could have be
> done without making any commitment to release a 2.8 at any point.
> This is why I drew the comparison.  There are barriers put in place to
> try to achieve a social engineering result.

It's not a matter of simply accepting any improvements for 2.7 even from
volunteers. If 2.8 happened, among other things people would have to
- make releases (building installers, etc)
- review new features
- triage bugs
- fix bugs in new features
- maintain yet another branch

It would surely add overhead for everyone.