[python-committers] Anatoly has been warned about his behaviour potentially leading to his loss of tracker privileges

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 16:49:21 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 November 2013 15:23, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > Nick,
> >
> > I think we've seen the issue from every possible side now. I trust your
> > judgment that he has pulled this trick once too many times. So please
> > implement the ban. Or wait until the next infraction -- that's up to you.
> > Either way, since the archives of this list are public, our deliberations
> > will stand up to scrutiny.
> >
> > My offer to mediate (*after* he's been banned) stands, but it's up to
> you if
> > and how you want to mention that to Anatoly.
>
> OK, moving on to mechanics, here's what I would like to propose:
>
> - flip his moderation bit on the mailing lists, at least for
> python-dev, python-ideas and distutils-sig (are there any other lists
> where his presence is considered disruptive?).
>
> - revoke his tracker privileges. If he would like something done on
> the tracker, he can ask Guido or Ezio to make the change on his
> behalf.
>
> I'm willing to be the bearer of bad news, and let Anatoly know this is
> being done, and cc' Guido and Ezio (as I'll also pass along their
> offers of assistance).

This plan sounds good. I agree with Alex that the initial email has to be
private. There's no need here for a public humiliation that will harm both
Anatoly and Python.

One thing that's not clear from the above is the duration of the ban. Guido
was mentioning some minimal cool-off period before Anatoly can discuss his
reinstatement with Guido.

Eli