[python-committers] Anatoly has been warned about his behaviour potentially leading to his loss of tracker privileges

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Nov 30 07:19:32 CET 2013

I concur that it is time to make a decision and move one.  I will support whatever we decide.

I want to apologize for not being clear in my earlier reply.  FTR, a few clarifications:

On Nov 29, 2013, at 20:25 , Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 November 2013 08:41, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
>> It is a problem.  And choosing to not participate is a perfectly rational and legitimate response.  But it doesn't necessarily follow that banning someone is a better response.  Trying to encourage different behavior can help if someone wants to take on that generally thankless effort.  I applaud people like the other Ned who has lately been trying to do so there with some success.  But it's not for everyone.
>
> Please, I spent *years* trying to help Anatoly. It didn't work, so
> it's time to switch to the harm minimisation option and at least get
> him out of everyone's hair.

I should have been clearer that I was not referring to Anatoly here but to the "Help Vampire" in python-list.  I am under no illusion that Anatoly's behavior is going to change substantially.  That was really a point I was trying to make earlier.  And I can see that some of what I wrote could be read as if I were trying to absolve him of responsibility for his actions and for the current negative situation.  I didn't intend to imply that.

> We tried to get him to be a productive contributor, it's time to admit
> we failed, and stop him being a drag on everyone else.

Agreed.

--Ned

--
  Ned Deily