[python-committers] Anatoly has been warned about his behaviour potentially leading to his loss of tracker privileges

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Nov 30 02:01:16 CET 2013

On 11/29/2013 7:17 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On ven., 2013-11-29 at 18:11 -0500, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 11/29/2013 2:59 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>
>>> Then I don't know where his behaviour is most problematic: on the
>>> tracker or the MLs?
>>> If we only ban him from the tracker, I'm afraid he'll start making
>>> "here's an issue I can't post on the tracker because I'm banned" posts
>>> on the mailing-list.

I would not be surprised if he did exactly that, which is why I (and a
couple of other people) are suggesting something less than a ban.

>>> Perhaps a temporary ban? There does need to be a signal sent to him.
>>> (apparently, he stopped reopening the issue when Georg told him

He stopped reopening other issues before, but then there was this new
issue ... and it is reasonable to think there will be again as things
stand now.

>> I think an appropriate first signal would be to make it so he cannot
>> change headers.
>
> I wasn't thinking only about the bug tracker, but also the MLs.

Right, you are worried about retaliation on the MLs if he were *banned*
from the tracker.

My belief and point is that removing header editing privileges
(permanently, by the way) is

* a minimal action that we should be able to mostly agree on;
* not something that most people would consider to be a 'right';
* an *action*, not a *warning* (of which there have been many), which
would demonstrate that we *are* collectively capable of action (which at
some level I suspect he doubts), and which would make the possibility of
more severe action more credible;
* not a 'ban', which is a more contentious action;
* not something that would preclude more severe action.

Terry