[python-committers] Anatoly Techtonik's contribution (again)

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 16:45:25 CET 2013

Hi,

I worked with many and various contributors on the Python projects
last 3 years. All contributors made a lot of effort to understand the
process (which is complex and not well documented), try to find
information by themself (ask find the right place to ask questions
like "how can I find information"), produced patches, accepted reviews
and updated their patches. I really enjoyed working with them.

Whereas it's really a pain to "work" with Anatoly. It's really a
difficult to try to understand what he means. He have to repeat the
same things again and again to help him to express his suggestion. I
don't remember once when I was happy to see that he understood and
don't repeat the same mistakes. He always complains about the CLA,
whereas other developers focus on patches, no on the CLA.

I don't like how Anatoly suggests changes. It's always something like
"Python sucks" (Python "warts" is Anatoly's idea) whereas other
developers are more kind: "xxx can be improved: I suggest to ..."
(sometimes with a patch, yeah!).

Seriously, why should I care of Anatoly whereas I can spend my time
helping other productive developers who really want to contribute and
do produce patches?

I don't care of what Anatoly does outside mailing lists and the bug
tracker, but in my opinion, he has a clear negative effect on the
mailing lists and the bug tracker and making us loose our time. I do
care of Anatoly because people who don't know him and read his
messages would have a very bad opinion of Python (Python is full of
warts, everything is broken, the CLA is evil, the process sucks,
etc.).

He was warned too many times. I see no progress.

Victor