[python-committers] Commit privileges for Roger Serwy for IDLE

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 01:06:01 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>wrote:

> It's maybe not the right place to discuss that, but why is IDLE part
> of the Python stdlib? Can't we maintain IDLE outside Python? I guess
> that maintaining it outside the stdlib would allow to develop it
> faster and be able to upgrade it for old (unmaintained) Python
> versions.

Strongly +1 here. I'd extend it to the whole tkinter and derivatives, but
IDLE itself is a worthier goal. In my view, it's been mainly "kept alive"
for the past many years and is a much inferior IDE to others, and not a
very good editor.

FWIW, I heard some mentions how this is important for education. It's just
one data point, but perhaps worth mentioning - I met a teacher during PyCon
and specifically asked him if he used IDLE, and he said that no, IDLE isn't
really good enough an editor and he asked his students to use Sublime text.

Eli