[python-committers] Commit privileges for Roger Serwy for IDLE

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Mar 19 21:42:31 CET 2013

On 3/19/2013 3:17 PM, Ned Deily wrote:
> I would like to propose Roger Serwy be given commit privileges to work
> on IDLE.  Roger has demonstrated long-term interest in IDLE and has been
> contributing to IDLE in a number of ways for years.  He has submitted
> many patches for IDLE to the tracker since at least April 2008.  He has
> developed a number of IDLE extensions (http://idlex.sourceforge.net),
> some of which he has proposed for inclusion in the standard library.  He
> is also active in triaging and commenting on the bug tracker and has had
> developer privileges on the tracker for the past 12 months.  He has also
> already signed the contributor agreement and I know he has been
> interested in becoming a core developer for IDLE.  I've informally
> discussed this with a few other core developers here at PyCon and I
> think there is general agreement that having Roger be able to contribute
> more directly to IDLE would be a really good thing.  I would certainly
> be willing to help mentor him as necessary.

I have been intending to propose the same thing for the same reasons,
(which you wrote up better than I would have -- thanks)
but have been waiting for the resolution of
http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0434/
clarifying what rule he and I and anyone else can use for deciding what
branches an IDLE change can be applied to.

Terry