[python-committers] Policy for committing to 2.7

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 23:49:37 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Eli Bendersky wrote:
>
> >I may be missing something, but do we have a policy of what we're supposed
> >to commit to the 2.7 branch at this point? I was under the impression that
> >it's only bug fixes, documentation, and maybe tests. But it seems that
> >there are developers who see it otherwise.
>
> Strongly agree.  One additional allowed category of changes are build
> system
> fixes, e.g. so that 2.7 can still be built on newer versions of operating
> systems it already supports.

Yes, this makes sense too.

In general there seems to be an agreement, so it would be great to document
in some place. Many years will pass before we have another "special"
release like Python 2.7, so it's worth spending an extra few minutes to
have this written down. PEP 404 seems to be a reasonable place - any
objections? Benjamin, what do you think?

Eli