[python-committers] [Infrastructure] [Pydotorg] XSS security issue

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 22:11:17 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:09:08 +0300, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 15 Jul 2013, at 11:05, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Who would be the one to contact for issues like these ?
>> >
>> > The case is rather urgent, since the XSS can be used for stealing
>> > session cookies on *.python.org.
>> >
>> > The sorting by password issue is a more obscure one. Just removing
>> > the "feature" to sort by password should be enough to solve it.
>>
>> Technically it's an infrastructure issue (cc'd), but fixing the code of roundup is hardly their domain.
>>
>> Ezio Melotti (cc'd) did a lot of work on the Python installation of roundup, so he may have a better idea.
>>
>> We have a security mailing list but that is mainly intended for security issues in the language:
>>
>>       security at python.org <security at python.org>
>
> The OP also emailed security (which I heard about via IRC, I'm not
> on that list).
>
> Ezio is a Roundup developer, so he is indeed the best person to look
> at the XSS issue, since it is a Roundup problem and not specific to
> the Tracker.  I can take a look too but he is more knowledgeable
> than I about roundup itself.

I don't have time to look at this now, and it might take up to 2 weeks
before I find some time.
The fix is usually as simple as adding a call to escape() in the right
spot, but finding the right spot and testing that the fix works might
take some time.
Before doing this, our Roundup instance should be updated (1.5.0 has
been released recently, but AFAIK it doesn't included a fix for this).
FTR the issue has been reported upstream at
<http://issues.roundup-tracker.org/issue2550817>.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti