[python-committers] Reminder: Python 3.4 alpha 1 release is Saturday August 3

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Aug 2 22:52:24 CEST 2013

In article <51FC15C2.9040708 at hastings.org>,
 Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>  From PEP 101, "Doing Python Releases 101":
> > IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU AT LEAST TAG THE TREE 24 HOURS
> > BEFORE A FINAL RELEASE.  This will give the Experts enough time to
> > do their bits before the announcement goes out.
> The schedule calls for the Alpha 1 release tomorrow.  Ergo, tag today.
>
> Should I add "expected tag dates" to the schedule?

+1, or at least an approximate delta for developers

> I can immediately grant you a small delay if that's all you need; how
> about I try to tag around midnight (PST).  If you need longer than that
> let's discuss it in public here.

That would be nice, thanks.  At this point, I'm running another set of
builds and installs to double-check what's in now.  That's a bit more
important since we're down to only one OS X buildbot at the moment and
that one runs an old version of OS X (10.4 Tiger) that we don't produce
installers for anymore for 3.3+.  While it is possible to patch the
installer builds, I really really try to avoid that.

> But speaking of adjusting the schedule, I'm also considering changing
> bumping all the remaining release dates forward by a day. Currently all
> the releases are on Saturdays, which means we always tag on Friday.  Ned
> Deily suggests instead we tag on Saturdays and release on Sundays.  His
> reasoning: people with last-minute changes they're trying to get in are
> more likely to have time for Python core hacking on a Saturday than a
> Friday.  Any opinions?

Looking back over the past few years, I believe most releases have been
tagged sometime on Saturday, generally late on Saturday.  Whatever time
is decided on by the release manager, I think it would be useful to make
developers aware of that ahead of time.  Perhaps Benjamin or Georg have
opinions from recent previous releases.

Thanks for being our release manager, Larry!

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org