[python-committers] Reminder: Python 3.4 alpha 1 release is Saturday August 3

Fred Drake fred at fdrake.net
Fri Aug 2 22:51:59 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
> From PEP 101, "Doing Python Releases 101":
>
> IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU AT LEAST TAG THE TREE 24 HOURS
> BEFORE A FINAL RELEASE.  This will give the Experts enough time to
> do their bits before the announcement goes out.
>
> The schedule calls for the Alpha 1 release tomorrow.  Ergo, tag today.

When I read this, I expect it to only apply to X.Y.Z releases, not alphas
and betas.

Which doesn't mean there should be an interval between the tagging and
the release.  (I expect a period this size for the first beta is just
as valuable, since that's the API freeze.)

For anything else, I think it's up to the release manager.

> Should I add "expected tag dates" to the schedule?

That, or some text explaining what to expect, would be good to have.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein