[python-committers] 3.3.1 two months away?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Oct 1 18:13:35 CEST 2012

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:57:45 -0400, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 10/1/2012 1:02 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:
>
> > You are right that we should have information about bugfix/security mode
> > and
> > about end-of-life; I propose to put them in the respective release schedule
> > PEPs.
>
>  From the commit:
>
>  > +3.3 will receive bugfix updates approximately every 4-6 months until
>
>  > +3.3.1 schedule
>  > +--------------
>  > +
>  > +- 3.3.1 beta 1: planned for Oct/Nov 2012
>
> I presume you see a number of little fixes coming that should not too
> long. I almost missed this ;-).

I believe Georg is basing this on past experience, both ours and the
general software community...the users *always* find nasty bugs only
after the first production release :)

I have some hope we did a little better this time, though.  Judging by
the bug reports we got a bunch of pre-testing from both the Gentoo team
and Ubuntu, and I'm pretty sure their testing has been more extensive
this time than it was for previous 3.x releases.

On the other hand, Gentoo (Arfrever) already found one crasher
post-release...but fortunately it only happens in debug builds (although
that could mean there is a behavior bug in non-debug builds).

--David